WORKER’S NATIONAL CONFEDERATION OF CUBA (CONFEDERACIÓN NACIONAL OBRERA DE CUBA )
This institution was founded on August 2nd of 1925 and was a significant step for the Cuban worker’s movement. The first congress was held on that day in Camagüey, but the seat was later transferred to the present day capital municipality of Centro Habana, along San Miguel street, between Lucena and Marqués González streets, where the building is located. The building previously had been the ancient Palacio de los Torcedores.
The same place also housed the so-called José Martí Popular University, the Antimperialist League, as well as the offices of the Popular Socialist Party.
The Confederación Nacional Obrera de Cuba has maintained since its creation, a high spirit of unity, until in 1939 it gave way to the present day Worker’s Central of Cuba (Central de Trabajadores de Cuba -CTC) presided by the syndical leader Lázaro Peña.
This building has been proclaimed a National Monument.
For more information: