HEADQUARTERS OF THE III EASTERN FRONT
(COMANDANCIA DEL III FRENTE ORIENTAL)
The historic military site headed by the then Commander Juan Almeida Bosque was officially constituted on March 15th of 1958 and covered an area of approximately 6 022 square kilometres.
This site was chosen due to the fact that the Rebel Army (Ejército Rebelde) was ready to extend the revolutionary war to other areas of the eastern region, as of the first months of 1958, which would force the enemy troops to keep up more than one theatre of operations. This site was declared a National Monument on October 10th of 1978.
For more information: