HAVANA CATHEDRAL (CATEDRAL DE LA HABANA)
It is an example of baroque influence on architecture in the Island. Since 1782 the building had been conceived as a sanctuary by the Jesuits, who had it built next to their seminar to honour the Purísima Concepción and San Cristóbal of La Habana, patron of the city. Years later, in 1793, the Royal Decree (Real Cédula) conferred upon it the title of Cathedral, under the order of the first bishop, and since then it has become the main temple of Catholicism in Cuba.
Here, the visitors come attracted by the choir of canons sculpted in precious woods with candleholders and gold medallions, as well as by the solid sculpture of San Cristóbal and by the figure of La Concepción, crowned in the XVIII century. This beautiful temple is located in the heart of Old Havana and is surrounded by many tourist attractions.
For more information: