MONCADA GARRISON (CUARTEL MONCADA)
Its history started in 1859 when the first stone was placed on what was initially known as the Garrison of the New Prison (cuartel del Nuevo Presidio), because it was destined to serve as a departmental prison for the province of Santiago de Cuba. By decision of the colonial government of Spain, it was also called Garrison of Queen Mercedes and since 1902 it became the Moncada Garrison. In an attempt to take the barracks by assault, an action carried out by Fidel Castro at the head of a group of young revolutionaries, on July 26th of 1953, an armed assault charged the fortress, the second important in the country.
After the Revolutionís triumph in 1959, this military construction was turned into the School Centre 26 de Julio (Centro Escolar 26 de Julio), starting from January 28th of 1960 in honour of Josť MartŪ in the anniversary of his birth. Since then a museum has been installed here, where the truth is shown about what happened that day of the intrepid attack in the middle of the XX century.
For more information: