It is a place of true patriotic value to the Cubans, due to the fact that the father of the Homeland (Padre de la Patria), Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, announced the start of the first war of independence against Spanish colonialism on October 10th of 1868. Céspedes, a man of progressive ideas and a fervent promoter of independence, had decided to establish himself there two years before buying the place from his brother Francisco Javier.
Today it is known as the National Museum Park of La Demajagua (Museo Parque Nacional La Demajagua) and it was declared a National Monument on June 6th of 1978. It originally was a small sugar mill located in the municipality of Manzanillo, in the present day province of Granma. The exact date of its founding is not known, but it already existed by that name in the year of 1840.
For more information: